Tuesday, July 1, 2014

That Time I Lived Off Bread Ends...

I used to work in a cafe in town where the only thing we could eat for free was the bread ends that would have otherwise been thrown away anyway. The discount for other food was only like 20% or something so I embraced eating the bread ends for free.

I think we were only supposed to use butter or jelly as a topping but, being the rebel that I am, chose to go with cream cheese. After a few weeks I decided that I was going to go one step farther and add some bacon. It was that chintzy pre-cooked kind which could not have cost all that much so what was the harm really? And I just used a couple of slices. I thought I was going to hate it but I really wanted the added protein so I would actually not be really hungry every time I worked.

Turns out I found this sandwich to be delicious. For calorie counting purposes, I started making it on pita bread. Give it a try, you might just love it too!

Bacon-Cream Cheese Sandwiches
 

Ingredients:
  • 1 loaf pita bread
  • 2 Tbsp 1/3 fat cream cheese ("neufchatel")
  • 2 slices pre-cooked bacon


Directions:
1) Cook bacon in microwave.
2) Lightly toast mini pita and set on a plate. If you don't have a toaster oven or are using pitas too big for a toaster you can skip the toasting.
3) Spread cream cheese on surface of pita bread.

4) Add bacon to one side, breaking in half if needed in order to fit better.

5) Fold in half and enjoy!

Nutrition facts:
Total Calories: 200
(Nutrition info calculated using MyFitnessPal.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment