I was in Japan visiting my brother and he bought some sort of crispy-thing-on-a-stick that he said was fried soy something-or-other, which was really tasty, so I've wanted to try to make crispy tofu ever since. When I came across this recipe for Mushroom & Poblano Vegetarian Enchiladas (made with tofu), it sounded like something I could incorporate crispy tofu into so that I actually would like the recipe. So I decided to give it a try, making a few modifications.
Crispy Tofu & Mushroom Enchiladas
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp lime or lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 12 tsp garlic powder
- 3 oz firm tofu
- 2 Tbsp corn starch
- 1 cup sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 3 Tbsp plain non-fat Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 3/4 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 4-6 corn tortillas
1) Preheat oven to 400º
2) Combine oil, lemon, cumin, chili powder, salt, and garlic powder in a small bowl.
5)Drain tofu and cut into small strips.
8) Cook for and additional 6 to 8 minutes or until mushrooms and are tender and tofu is cooked on all sides, turning occasionally.
10) Mix remaining spice mixture with greek yogurt.
|In this photo, I'd forgotten to add the cheese so it will be more saucy.|
13) Spoon mushroom filling into tortillas, fold the sides over, and place seam-side-down in prepared baking pan.